Situated not far from the centre of the seaside town of Bangor on the north coast of County Down, Bangor Golf Course reflects the character of the county with its undulating parkland course.
The Club was founded in February1903 and affiliated to the Golfing Union of Ireland in March the same year. The Ladies Branch was founded in May 1903.
The original nine-hole course was opened on the 13th June 1903, and the second nine was added the following year.
More land was bought in 1933 and the Club moved across the lane known as Broadway to its present site, where a completely new 18 hole course was designed and laid out by James Braid the legendary golfer who won the “Open” five times, and who was at that time the pre-eminent golf course architect in Britain.
The Prime Minister of Northern Ireland Rt. Hon Viscount Craigavon opened the present clubhouse on the 6th of April 1935 and Lady Craigavon officially opened the new course by driving the first ball to the delight of the huge crowd.
Although the course has been modified from time to time, yet it still retains many of its original features and is recognisably a “James Braid” course. Seventy years on, trees planted in those early days are now to be seen in their full beauty and thanks to the untiring efforts of successive Councils and teams of ground staff, the fairways and greens would do justice to many a more famous course.
The Club celebrated its Centenary Year in 2003. The highlight of the year was a visit by HRH the Duke of York. To mark the occasion a commemorative plaque is located in the foyer of the Clubhouse.
100 Years History of Bangor GC
You can download a PDF file of the 100 years History of Bangor Golf Club > DOWNLOAD